Bismillaah ar-Rahmaan ar-Raheem

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Monday 2 August 2010

A Beautiful Du'a

I remember listening to a lecture quite a while back, I think it was by Sheikh Anwar al-Awlaki (before all the unwarranted controversies- I hope my blog doesn't get blacklisted for mentioning his name...), where he mentioned a du'a that Sayyiduna 'Umar ibn al-Khattab (radiAllahu ta'aala 'anhu) used to make. After some research, I managed to dig it up. From what I gather, the du'a actually comes from a hadith of Rasoolullah (sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallaam) recorded in Muslim. My thanks to all those on the particular thread on an AlMaghrib forum where I lifted it from...

روى مسلم في صحيحه عن زيد بن أرقم أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يقول
(اللهم إني أعوذ بك من علم لا ينفع ومن قلب لا يخشع ومن نفس لا تشبع ومن دعوة لا يستجاب لها

Allahumma innee 'audhoobika min 'ilmi-llaa yanfa', wa min qalbi-llaa yakhsha', wa min nafsi-llaa tashba', wa min da'wati-llaa yustajaabu lahaa. (Muslim)

O Allah! I seek refuge in you from a knowledge which does not benefit, and from a heart which does not tremble, and from a nafs (ego) which is not content (sated), and from a supplication which is not accepted.

SubhanAllah, I really love this du'a. InshaAllah the next time you make du'a, and if you remember to include this one, don't forget to give me a shoutout right after :). It's only fair...

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful du'a. JazakAllah khair for sharing brother at-taalib. =)

    Definitely need to memorize this one, iA.

    ReplyDelete