Bismillaah ar-Rahmaan ar-Raheem

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Tuesday 3 August 2010

A Dream Come True

I've been working here for about 3 and a half weeks now, and for about the last 2 and a half weeks I'd set a goal for myself. It's one of those goals that realistically you know you can't achieve, but you still try for it anyway. And alhamdulillah, I did it :). But before I jump straight in there, let me give you a little background..

One of my jobs here as a 'Vacation Engineering Student' (which they didn't tell me actually meant 'Glorified Admin Assistant') is to update their old system. I get big folders filled with about 500 sheets of paper, I take out the papers, I re-write the dates on some of them where the stamps have faded, I then scan the pages, then come back to my desk, put them back in the folder, re-name them on the computer, and then upload them on to a server that's all the way in New Jersey (I'm in London) whilst punching in the details of each individual sheet as I upload them. I do the whole thing in groups of 50 pages (2 successive sets of 25 for the scanner). Sometimes I have to do other little annoying things with the pages, like make sure their the right size, etc. So anyway, when I come back to my desk, I'm there with about 50 pieces of paper (that all date to around 1995) that I need to put back into that big fat folder. And here's that goal I set myself. I've tried it about (quick calculation...) 30ish times, and I managed it yesterday. Here it is...

I managed to put all the pages back in one go!!! Wohoooooo!

I mean, do you know how tediously long it is having to put the pages back in little groups. The holes on the side never line up properly, 'cos of the different paper sizes and other peoples' dodgy hole punching. So I end up putting them back in about 10 at a time, sometimes even individually! But subhanAllah, min fadli Rabbi, I got all 50 in in one go yesterday :). Not only that, but I managed it again today. Allahu akbar. What a feeling that was... You see, your job doesn't always have to be boring. You just have to make the most of these little things. And some people said I'd go crazy doing that for 9 weeks... ha!

On a side note, I'd like to add that I now have (un)official sponsorship for my blog. Yep, that's right :). My company now pays me to update my blog. How awesome is that? I haven't got round to informing them about that yet, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment