Bismillaah ar-Rahmaan ar-Raheem

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Sunday 11 July 2010

InshaAllah

How do you spell the phrase? I've seen it spelt a number of ways. The ones I can remember are:

inshaAllah
inshallah
in shaa' Allah
insha'Allah
iA
inshalla

Personally, I spell it how I've written it in the title of this post. I don't know why to be honest, I capitalise the A because I would capitalise the first letter in any other type of name, so why not for Allah's swt? I write that extra little a because of the little hamza in the spelling and the way you pronounce it. I guess strictly speaking then, if you wanna be pedantic about it, the most correct way of writing the phrase in English would be as "in shaa' Allah". I mean, not too long ago I even remember receiving a text message saying that unless you spelt it that way, you risked sinning in the eyes of Allah as the spelling "inshallah" translates as something along the lines of "Allah is created". Na'oodhubillah. I mean, come on... As it is the phrase is being written in English and not Arabic. I'd understand if we were talking about a misspelling in the Arabic language, but we're talking about English here! Of course you're not gonna get the transliteration spot on. If the text had been meant solely to ensure people were pronouncing the phrase correctly (which is a fair enough intention, those of us who don't speak Arabic and have never learnt the language are often guilty of some pretty nasty pronunciation mistakes) then I'd have no reason to complain. But the text was making a big deal about making sure you spell the phrase in English correctly. Come onnnnn. When you see it written down, in whatever spelling (even as inshalla- why drop the h, the spelling of Allah swt has become pretty much standard now), you go on to think it in your head or say it with your lips. Surely that is the point. Even if it's written down as iA, you don't read it as "ih-aa". You say the phrase, right? I see it just as like a way to remind you to say it, just a type of indicator. It could be a symbol, but as long as you saw it and then said it, the purpose has been achieved right? What's the need for telling people they HAVE to spell it one certain way or they're doing it wrong. It's hardly something we're going to be questions about on the Day of Judgement. Whether you write inshaAllah or iA, I'm happy. It shows that you follow the Sunnah and are aware of the Qadr of Allah. Just please don't spell it as inshalla, now that really annoys me :P.

No comments:

Post a Comment